Photo Credit: unknown
This was composited from a bracketed set of test images I used in a tutorial to learn how to use Photomatix (so I think the photo may be courtesy of Trey Ratcliffe).
Using Photomatix all I could really do is composite a bracketed set of images together and tone map the HDR image. I couldn’t create masks and couldn’t work on separate layers. In Photomatix, once the image was generally what I wanted it to look like, I would export it back to Lightroom and/or Photoshop to finish. But with Aurora, I have a ton of control (but there’s still a couple things I wish it could do). Way better than what I did with Photomatix:
Tone mapped in Photomatix
There are still some problems:
- Lamppost by the building is very blown out. I needed to reduce that glare, as well as what was reflected into the street.
- Headdress lighting is drab.
- The gables on the building aren’t masked and take on too much of the blueness of the sky, rather than the whiteness of the building.
- The bird low-flying bird near the doll’s head is a distraction.
- The photobombing pigeon is a distraction.
I fixed the first two problems in Aurora, then exported to Luminar to fix the last two problems:
Finished product. Still not the best that could be done, but I’m OK with this result of this test photo.